Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cuts & BLOOD!

Starting last Wednesday we started making cuts out of latex to apply to our skin.  I chose this picture to model my cut after....



I took some liberties with it... I designed the shape of my cut after the one above, but I made it larger and wider.  On Friday we used the spirit gum to adhere our pieces to our arms.  Here is a picture of mine right after I put it on:
Obviously there was some excess around the edges that I had to trim.  We then applied our base foundation to try to match the piece to our skin tone.  This is where I had some trouble.  I mixed the foundation I use for my face and found it to be too dark, so as Sue suggested, I used my highlight and went around the edges of my piece.  It did help, but it still needed some work. 
That's the closest I could get it in class.
We then added the makeup to the inside of the wound to make it look like a scar.  I added some purples and reds from the bruise & abrasion pot....

Then we added red and blood to make it look like a fresh cut...
BLOOD!     


I took note that I was going to have to work hard to match the skin tone once I put the wound on my face. On Monday when we put them on our faces, I had the same problem. I spent most of the time trying to match the color of the latex to my own skin.  I trimmed my appliance down a lot, hoping it would help with hiding the edges, but the inside edge was still a very visible.  Here's some step-by-step pictures:


Then we added color.  Along with the red inside of my cut, I added some bruises around my eye and along my temple....
That edge really bothers me. Grr.  
Then I added some blooood.     
It was very drippy.
And some morrre blood.


Next time I think I want to my cut deeper, but the outer edges thinner as to try to reduce visible edges.  That was my biggest problem I think.  If the wound had more depth, I think it would have been more realistic... or maybe just more gorey.  I'd love for you to comment with some advice!

6 comments:

  1. Your second to last picture looks amazing! Very realistic. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it could be a deeper cut but with it being more shallow it really works on your face. In the bottom picture it looks like you just won a fight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your cut looks so realistic. you blended it really well and the added cut on the side enhances it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of these look more realistic depending on the angle. Interesting to note...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make your cuts look FIERCE in the last 2 pictures! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fact that you put your hair down in the last two pictures really makes it work.

    Looks like Kess got in a bar fight :)

    ReplyDelete